Re: postgres conferences missing videos? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: postgres conferences missing videos?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dne 22.3.2011 00:20, David Fetter napsal(a):
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:55:20PM +0100, Aljoša Mohorović wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>>> Who proposes, volunteers!  How are you going to help?
>>
>> being on a different continent and unable to attend doesn't actually
>> enable me to do something.
>
> Not so, by a long shot.  If this is actually important to you, there
> are plenty of ways you could help, not least by funding the effort.
>
> Capable videographers are not cheap, and if you think we can get away
> with having amateurs, try watching a 45-minute talk recorded by an
> amateur, or better still, try coordinating the efforts of at least
> three people per talk, as you'll need massive redundancy.

Well, I'm the first one to admit I'm a lousy videographer. But is that
really that important? The person is just standing there and talking, so
what really matters is the sound. Because the slides are usually about
20% of the information.

So just put there a tripod, a reasonable HD cam for $300 and you'll get
a decent video of the session.

> When professionals volunteer their time, they still have expenses like
> travel, storage media, etc., and you can help defray those.

Yes, there are travel expenses and it takes time. Storage media is not a
big deal - you can use a simple HDD.

regards
Tomas