Re: Windows ODBC connection trouble? ISP issue? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Windows ODBC connection trouble? ISP issue?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/17/11 2:29 PM, Joseph Doench wrote:

> I have setup a pg database server formy organizationon a cloud
> serverusing PG 8.2;
>
> I am trying to provide connections to the db for somemembers using MS
> Access. I developed a small MS Access application using Windows
> ODBC–it works fine from myhouse.
>
> I havethisline in pg_hba.conf:
>
> Host all mydbuserID 0.0.0.0/0 password
>
> BUT…I cannot re-create the ODBC connection in our organization’s offices!
>
> I have de-bugged by taking my laptop to the office–it will not
> connectto the db there–but is ok at my house.
>
> (I have also checked 2 other locations with public wi-fi; could not
> connect from either of them)
>
> This seems to berelated to the ISP blockingdata–I have ruled out the
> router in the office.

is your home behind a home internet sharing router ? (this might be
built into whatever 'modem' your ISP provided). is the Postgres port
forwarded from the outside world to your server?

in general if your home server is on a private local network address
like 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z, then it can't be directly reached from the
internet unless the internet gateway is configured to forward the
service port in question from real.ip.addr:port to local.ip.addr:port
(Postgres uses port 5432/tcp by default)