Re: Macros for time magic values - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Macros for time magic values
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
>> Would it help moving toward Leap Second support, and is this
>> something we want to have?
>
> IMO we don't want to have that, as it would completely bollix
> datetime calculations of all kinds.  You couldn't even count on
> stored timestamps not changing their meaning.
I'm inclined to agree, but if that's the choice, should we stop
claiming that we're using UTC, and instead claim UT1 support?  It
always seemed a little odd to me that the docs say UTC but there's
no actual support for leap seconds in calculations.
-Kevin