Re: ANTI-JOIN needs table, index scan not possible? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: ANTI-JOIN needs table, index scan not possible?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 06:54:39PM +0100, hans wulf wrote:
>> so there's no way around this problem? A nice index bitmap merge
>> thing would be super fast. Big table ANTI JOIN queries with only
>> a few results expected, are totally broken, if this is true.
>>
>> This way the query breaks my neck. This is a massive downside of
>> postgres which makes this kind of query impossible. Mysql gives
>> you the answer in a few seconds :-(
>
> Super! I am glad that MySQL can meet your needs. No software is
> perfect and you should definitely chose based on your use-case.

Well, as far as I can see we haven't yet seen near enough
information to diagnose the issue, suggest alternative ways to write
the query which might perform better, or determine whether there's
an opportunity to improve the optimizer here.

Hans, please read this page and provide more detail:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin