Re: Sync Rep v17 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Sync Rep v17
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:
> allow_standalone_primary=off means "wait forever". It does nothing
> to reduce data loss since you can't replicate to a server that
> isn't there.
Unless you're pulling from some persistent source which will then
feel free to discard what you have retrieved.  You can't assume
otherwise; it's not that rare a pattern for interfaces.  We use such
a pattern for accepting criminal complaints from district attorneys
and sending warrant information to police agencies.  Waiting a long
time (it won't *actually* be forever) is better than losing
information.
In other words, making a persistence promise which is not kept can
lose data on the client side, if the clients actually trust your
guarantees.
-Kevin