Re: Unused indices - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Unused indices
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 02/24/2011 12:13 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> That's not quite the right filter.  You want to screen out
> everything that isn't a unique index, not just the primary key ones.
> You probably can't drop any of those without impacting database
> integrity.

Ah yes. I was considering adding the clause for unique indexes. Filthy
constraint violations.

> Also, as a picky point, you really should use functions like
> pg_relation_size instead of doing math on relpages.

You know, I always think about that, but I'm essentially lazy. :) I
personally haven't ever had the old *8 trick fail, but from your
perspective of working with so many variations, I could see how you'd
want to avoid it.

I'll be good from now on. ;)

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604

See  http://www.peak6.com/email_disclaimer.php
for terms and conditions related to this email