Re: Covert database from ASCII to UTF-8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey Myers
Subject Re: Covert database from ASCII to UTF-8
Date
List pgsql-general
Vibhor Kumar wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2011, at 10:23 PM, Jeff Amiel wrote:
>
>> It's come time to bite the bullet and convert a half-terraybyte database from ASCII to UTF8.  Have gone through a
bitof effort to track down the unclean ascii text and repair it but would like to avoid the outage of a many-many hour
dump-restore.

>> Using Postgres 8.4.X.
>>
>> I assume slony replication is an option.....
>
> Right! Replication would help. You can also try Bucardo.

I'm assuming you're saying you can replicate from an ASCII database to
UTF8?  What happens to the data that is not UTF8 'friendly?'

--
Geoffrey Myers
Myers Consulting Inc.