Re: dynamic results of a PG_Dump or pg_Restore in the list - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: dynamic results of a PG_Dump or pg_Restore in the list
Date
List pgadmin-support
Le 16/02/2011 23:13, Doug Easterbrook a écrit :
> To Whom it may concern
>
> PgAdmin is fantastic.   Lets just star there.   Been using it since 8.2 of postgres and it is the tool of choice.
>
> One think I always wanted to ask for as an enhancement is that the backup and restore functions for the database
display'live' results in the  log window rather than waiting for the end of the full restore.     It's really handy to
knowwhere in the process something is, the table being restored, the indexes being created, etc. ...    as it happens.
    it also would give insight to other things on a machine.

I would love to be able to show a more continuous progress than what we
have now, but it would be a lot harder to do, and would involve hacking
PostgreSQL itself. Not something I'll the time to work on in the next
months :)

> I often end up running pg_restore/pg_dump in terminal command line so that I can see the ongoing progress and judge
howmuch time I have left to keep myself occupied doing coding while the restore finishes.

I'm afraid this is the only option left.

> It does it nicely for a vacuum explain, but then I guess that is results coming back from the database itself, so the
implementationof the feature might be different.

You don't have a progress shown here too. So, I don't see what you mean.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com