Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again...
Date
Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again...
Re: Why we don't want hints Was: Slow count(*) again...
List pgsql-performance
Shaun Thomas <sthomas@peak6.com> wrote:

> how difficult would it be to add that syntax to the JOIN
> statement, for example?

Something like this syntax?:

JOIN WITH (correlation_factor=0.3)

Where 1.0 might mean that for each value on the left there was only
one distinct value on the right, and 0.0 would mean that they were
entirely independent?  (Just as an off-the-cuff example -- I'm not
at all sure that this makes sense, let alone is the best thing to
specify.  I'm trying to get at *syntax* here, not particular knobs.)

-Kevin