Re: Permission denied error - best way to fix? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Permission denied error - best way to fix?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/08/11 2:44 PM, Mike Christensen wrote:
>>> Here's the error:
>>>
>>> pg_dump: SQL command failed
>>> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  permission denied for
>>> relation pantryitems
>>> pg_dump: The command was: LOCK TABLE public.pantryitems IN ACCESS SHARE
>>> MODE
>>>
>>> Does the user need to be a superuser, or is there some way to GRANT
>>> this permission (if possible, I don't want this user to be able to
>>> modify the schema)..
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>> pg_dump is an admin function so it will need to run as a role that can touch
>> all requested objects and take action. For this particular case you could
>> GRANT SELECT on that table to the restricted user. The trouble being is that
>> this turns into a game of Whack-a-Mole fairly quickly. This is one of those
>> situations where taken a long view on your permissions scheme will pay
>> dividends.
> Hmm interesting, I wonder if this error is happening because pg_dump
> is being run from another program (RubyMine) and the process doesn't
> have whatever access it needs.

its definately a postgres permissions error.    I'd verify the pg user
credentials being passed to pg_dump.   if no user or anything is being
specified, then its likely inheriting the unix username that the parent
process runs as.