Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Talking about optimizer, my long dream
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 05/02/11 03:36, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> Shaun, I don't need to convince you or the Postgres community. I
> needed an argument to convince my boss.
> My argument was that the sanctimonious and narrow minded Postgres
> community is unwilling to even consider creating the tools I need for
> large porting projects, tools provided by other major databases. This
> discussion served my purpose wonderfully.  Project is killed, here we
> part ways. No more problems for either of us. Good luck with the
> "perfect optimizer" and good riddance. My only regret is about the
> time I have wasted.

I think it is unlikely that your boss is going to dismiss Postgres on
the basis of some minor technical point (no optimizer hints). Bosses
usually (and should) care about stuff like reference sites, product
pedigree and product usage in similar sized companies to theirs.
Postgres will come out rather well if such an assessment is actually
performed I would think.

The real question you should be asking is this:

Given that there are no hints, what do I do to solve the problem of a
slow query suddenly popping up in production? If and when this situation
occurs, see how quickly the community steps in to help you solve it (and
it'd bet it will solved be very quickly indeed).

Best wishes

Mark