Re: Really really slow select count(*) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Really really slow select count(*)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 02/04/2011 08:56 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

> PostgreSQL version?  If you're running on 8.3 or earlier, I would be
> suspicous that your Free Space Map has been overrun.

That's my first inclination. If he says autovacuum is running, there's
no way it should be bloating the table that much.

Felix, If you're running a version before 8.4, what is your
max_fsm_pages setting? If it's too low, autovacuum won't save you, and
your tables will continue to grow daily unless you vacuum full
regularly, and I wouldn't recommend that to my worst enemy. ;)

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604

See  http://www.peak6.com/email_disclaimer.php
for terms and conditions related to this email