Re: getting the most of out multi-core systems for repeated complex SELECT statements - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: getting the most of out multi-core systems for repeated complex SELECT statements
Date
List pgsql-performance
Andy Colson wrote:
> Yes, I agree... for today.  If you gaze into 5 years... double the
> core count (but not the speed), double the IO rate.  What do you see?

Four more versions of PostgreSQL addressing problems people are having
right now.  When we reach the point where parallel query is the only way
around the actual bottlenecks in the software people are running into,
someone will finish parallel query.  I am not a fan of speculative
development in advance of real demand for it.  There are multiple much
more serious bottlenecks impacting scalability in PostgreSQL that need
to be addressed before this one is #1 on the development priority list
to me.