Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...  (Torsten Zühlsdorff <foo@meisterderspiele.de>)
List pgsql-performance
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Mladen Gogala <mladen.gogala@vmsinfo.com> wrote:
>

>> Maybe we can agree to remove that ridiculous "we don't want hints"
>> note from Postgresql wiki?
>>

> I'd be against that.  This is rehashed less frequently since that
> went in.  Less wasted time and bandwidth with it there.

Well, the problem will not go away.  As I've said before, all other
databases have that feature and none of the reasons listed here
convinced me that everybody else has a crappy optimizer.  The problem
may go away altogether if people stop using PostgreSQL.

>> That would make it look less like , hmph, philosophical issue and
>> more "not yet implemented" issue,
>>

> Exactly what we don't want.

Who is "we"?

--