Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Slow count(*) again...  (Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:
> However, since this system wasn't directly compatible with Oracle Hints,
> folks pushing for hints dropped the solution as unsatisfactory. This is
> the discussion we have every time: the users who want hints specifically
> want hints which work exactly like Oracle's, and aren't interested in a
> system designed for PostgreSQL.  It's gotten very boring; it's like the
> requests to support MySQL-only syntax.

Actually, I don't want Oracle hints. Oracle hints are ugly and
cumbersome. I would prefer something like this:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/index-hints.html

That should also answer the question about other databases supporting hints.

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA