Re: Bloat issue on 8.3; autovac ignores HOT new pages? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Bloat issue on 8.3; autovac ignores HOT new pages?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 01/02/11 10:57, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Robert, Mark,

I have not been able to reproduce this issue in a clean test on 9.0.  As
a result, I now think that it was related to the FSM being too small on
the user's 8.3 instance, and will consider it resolved.
I used to try and size free space map to be a little bigger than it
needed to be.  I now size 4 or 5 times what it needs to be.  shared
memory is cheap.  So is going to 8.4, but on legacy systems that you
can't upgrade, 8.3 with a huge FSM works well enough (with suitably
aggressive autovac).

Yeah, 8.3 with very aggressive autovac my experience too - I've had the naptime cranked down to 10s or even 1s in some cases, to try to tame bloat growth for web cache or session type tables that are heavily volatile.

regards

Mark