Re: Perl 5.12 complains about ecpg parser-hacking scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Perl 5.12 complains about ecpg parser-hacking scripts
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 01/22/2011 08:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
>> On 01/22/2011 06:06 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> On Fedora 14 I see these warnings while building ecpg's preproc.y:
>>>
>>> Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated at ./parse.pl line 21.
>>> Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated at ./check_rules.pl line 18.
>>>
>>> Any Perl experts want to make those go away?
>> I think these really need to be rewritten from scratch.
> I noticed they didn't "use strict" either ... have at it.

If I do it's unlikely to be any time soon. I wasn't putting my hand up
for the job, just pointing out that fixing these would barely be
scratching the surface of what's needed.

But there are quite a few perlheads around. ISTR Matt Trout was
muttering about these scripts on IRC recently.

cheers

andrew