Re: Compatibility GUC for serializable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Compatibility GUC for serializable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/10/11 10:28 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> The techniques we use in our shop wouldn't interact badly with SSI,
> and I'm having trouble picturing what would.  Sure, some of these
> techniques would no longer be needed, and would only add overhead if
> SSI was there.

Yeah?  Well, you have more experience than I do in this; my clients have
tended to use SELECT FOR UPDATE instead of SERIALIZABLE.  I'll defer to
you if you feel reasonably confident that breakage won't result.

And as I said, I'm unsure of how many people are using SERIALIZABLE in
any mission-critical context right now.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com