Re: Re: Vacuum of newly activated 8.3.12 standby receives warnings page xxx is uninitialized --- fixing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Re: Vacuum of newly activated 8.3.12 standby receives warnings page xxx is uninitialized --- fixing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/01/11 04:43, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 11:11 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>> I note that this uninitialized pages with standbys has cropped up from
>> time to time - I wonder if in most/all the cases folk were using
>> Pitrtools?
> I deployed Pitrtools a lot when I was working for CMD, and I haven't
> seen any issues with that. It is just a wrapper, nothing else...

Note that if you perform the backup step when the system is quiet then
there is typically no problem with the standby - it is only when the
backup coincides with any level of activity that you can elicit the
previously mentioned problems.

Obviously the case I have included in the first mail shows up the
problem immediately, but in fact it is reasonably hard to trigger and I
spent quite a while getting to the state of being able to trigger the
uninitialized pages on demand.

While Pitrtools it is a wrapper,  the use of "--exclude=backup_label" is
incorrect and needs to be removed.

regards

Mark