Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 27/12/2010 18:27, Gauthier, Dave a écrit :
> Hi:
>
> I'm working with 2 different PG installs on 2 different linux servers, one running v9.0.1 and the other v8.3.4.  The
olderinstall is "frozen" for the project (which is nearing completion) for environment stability reasons.  This is out
ofmy control.  I cannot upgrade v8.3.4 on that server.  But I would like to be able to use psql v9.0.1 on the older DB.
It seems to work, with a warning that some features may not be available or work right.

> My question has to do with backward compatibility, v9.0.1 and v8.3.4.  Can I use v9.0.1 software (psql, pg_ctl,
etc...)on the v8.3.4 DB with confidence?

psql should work the same, apart from new metacommands. I don't think
you'll experience issues with pg_ctl. I would not recommend you to user
pg_dump and pg_restore. They are pretty sensitive to the PostgreSQL release.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr