Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 x64 bit pgbench TPC very low question? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 x64 bit pgbench TPC very low question?
Date
List pgsql-performance
tuanhoanganh <hatuan05@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you show me what parameter of pgbouncer.ini can do that. I
> read pgbouncer and can not make pgbouncer open and keep 200
> connect to postgres

What makes you think that 200 connections to PostgreSQL will be a
good idea?  Perhaps you want a smaller number of connections from
pgbouncer to PostgreSQL and a larger number from your application to
pgbouncer?

If you search the archives you can probably find at least 100 posts
about how both throughput and response time degrade when you have
more connections active then there are resources to use.
(Saturation is often around twice the CPU core count plus the
effective number of spindles, with caching reducing the latter.)  It
is quite often the case that a transaction will complete sooner if
it is queued for later execution than if it is thrown into a mix
where resources are saturated.

-Kevin