Re: Slow BLOBs restoring - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vlad Arkhipov
Subject Re: Slow BLOBs restoring
Date
List pgsql-performance
08.12.2010 22:46, Tom Lane writes:
> Are you by any chance restoring from an 8.3 or older pg_dump file made
> on Windows?  If so, it's a known issue.

No, I tried Linux only.

> Not without a complete reproducible example ... and not at all if it's
> the known problem.  The fix for that is to update pg_dump to 8.4 or
> later.

I think you can reproduce it. First I created a database full of many
BLOBs on Postres 8.4.5. Then I created a dump:

pg_dump -F c test > test.backup8

It took about 15 minutes. Then I tried to restore it on Postgres 8.

pg_restore -v -d test2 -j 2 test.backup8

It restored in 18 minutes. Then I restored it to Postgres 9.0.1, it took
20 minutes. Then I created a dump there:

/usr/pgsql-9.0/bin/pg_dump -F c test > test.backup9

It took 25 minutes. Finally I tried to restore it and got what I've
already described:

/usr/pgsql-9.0/bin/pg_restore -v -d test2 -j 2 test.backup9

However if I remove the option '-j', the database restores in 45 minutes.