Re: Do we want SYNONYMS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Do we want SYNONYMS?
Date
Re: Do we want SYNONYMS?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On 12/6/2010 3:30 PM, Michael C Rosenstein wrote:
> Here's a short overview of what Oracle synonyms provide:
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28318/schema.htm#i5669
>

> /m

Hum... can we move away from what oracle supports?  Cuz PG is not going
to support anything like it.

And can we get away from oracle parlance?  Michael, can you tell us, in
PG terms, what you could have used.  (err, just saw your "example
webAppUser" above... which I think pretty much covers that, so never mind)

Can someone post what the synonyms will do?  And what will be synonym'able?

(cuz JD said: SYNONYMS work for things that aren't a table.
then tlg said: synonyms for non-table things was pretty much rejected.

so we got... nothing then?)

-Andy