Re: Defaulting wal_sync_method to fdatasync on Linux for 9.1? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Defaulting wal_sync_method to fdatasync on Linux for 9.1?
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Well, we're not going to increase the default to gigabytes, but we could
> very probably increase it by a factor of 10 or so without anyone
> squawking.  It's been awhile since I heard of anyone trying to run PG in
> 4MB shmmax.  How much would a change of that size help?

Last I checked, though, this comes out of the allocation available to
shared_buffers.  And there definitely are several OSes (several linuxes,
OSX) still limited to 32MB by default.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.