Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glen Parker
Subject Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development!
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/16/2010 03:24 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> PostgreSQL 9.1 is likely to have, as a feature, the ability to create
>> tables which are "unlogged", meaning that they are not added to the
>> transaction log, and will be truncated (emptied) on database restart.
>> Such tables are intended for highly volatile, but not very valuable,
>> data, such as session statues, application logs, etc.

I have been following loosely this discussion on HACKERS, but seem to
have missed the part about truncating such tables on server restart.

I have an immediate use for unlogged tables (application logs), but
having them truncate after even a clean server restart would be a show
stopper.  I keep log data for 2 months, and never back it up.  Having it
disappear after a system melt down is acceptable, but not after a clean
restart.  That would be utterly ridiculous!

As to the topic of the thread, I think pg_dump needs to dump unlogged
tables by default.

-Glen