Re: Why facebook used mysql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/9/2010 10:27 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> This is covered by the GPL license. Once you have released code under
> the GPL, all derivative code - ie upgrades - have to also be released
> in source form, under the GPL license.

Sorry but this is 100% not true. It may be true for a 3rd party (you
release something under the GPL, I enhance it, therefore I am required
to release my enhancement under the GPL). But Oracle owns the copyright
to the MySql code and therefore they can decide to do whatever they want
with it. The only thing they can't do is to 'un-release' existing code
released under the GPL. Everything else is possible.

Ownership of the copyright trumps the GPL.