Re: Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco Colombo
Subject Re: Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/04/2010 04:00 PM, Michael Gould wrote:
> I know that this is probably a "religion" issue but we are looking to
> move Postgres to a Linux server. We currently have a Windows 2008 R2
> active directory and all of the other servers are virtualized via VMWare
> ESXi. One of the reasons is that we want to use a 64 bit Postgres server
> and the UUID processing contrib module does not provide a 64 bit version
> for Windows. I would also assume that the database when properly tuned
> will probably run faster in a *inx environment.
>
> What and why should I look at certain distributions? It appears from
> what I read, Ubanta is a good desktop but not a server.
>
> Best Regards

Just find one that ships with the latest PG, to save you some work.
Unless you plan to compile & install PG manually, in that case, any
major distribution would do. For production use, how long your version
will be supported for (security updates) is likely to be the most
important item in your checklist. I use CentOS.

.TM.