Re: Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Tripathy
Subject Re: Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/11/10 20:21, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Jonathan Tripathy<jonnyt@abpni.co.uk>  wrote:

>>> 9.0 has streaming replication and "Hot Standby"
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/hot-standby.html
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Thomas
>>>

>> But does that not only allow "read-only" things to work on the standby?
> Yep.  Generally when to fail over is considered a business decision.
> I think only pgpool supports automatic failover but has a lot of
> limitations to deal with otherwise.

So really Postgresql doesn't have any "Hot Standbys" that once fail-over
has occurred, the system can act as normal? For this, would I have to
looking in Xen or VMWare HA?

I'm guessing the standbys in the "warm-failover" setup allow write
operations?

Thanks