Re: Constraint: string length must be 32 chars - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Constraint: string length must be 32 chars
Date
List pgsql-general

Alexander Farber wrote:
> Hello, really good advices here! But -
>
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just read the "anonymously" part, so I take it you have ruled out
>> recording the given coordinate components directly, in multiple columns
>> presumably?  Otherwise it seems you could then do a) a composite key and b)
>> queries directly against coordinate values.
>>

> what do you mean here? Do you suggest using line segments
> instead of points in my records or something else?
>
> Regards
> Alex

Sorry Alexander, I have to confess here and now that I'm not familiar
with GPS data.  My presumption was that it was represented as something
like latitude, longitude (,alitutde?, others?), and that while those
would surely hash nicely with md5 I thought you would be loosing the
inherent information of the position.