Re: Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Slow count(*) again...
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jesper Krogh wrote:
> To be honest, if it is EDB, Redpill, Command Prompt, 2nd Quadrant or
> whoever end up doing the job is, seen from this perspective not
> important, just it ends in the hands of someone "capable" of doing
> it. ... although Heikki has done some work on this task already.

Now you're closing in on why this is a touchy subject.  Heikki has
already done work here funded by EDB.  As such, the idea of anyone else
being put in charge of fund raising and allocation for this particular
feature would be a political mess.  While it would be nice if there was
a completely fair sponsorship model for developing community PostgreSQL
features, overseen by a benevolent, free, and completely unaffiliated
overlord, we're not quite there yet.  In cases like these, where there's
evidence a company with a track record of delivering features is already
involved, you're probably better off contacting someone from there
directly--rather than trying to fit that into the public bounty model
some PostgreSQL work is getting done via lately.  The visibility map is
a particularly troublesome one, because the list of "capable" people who
could work on that, but who aren't already working at a company having
some relations with EDB, is rather slim.

I know that's kind of frustrating to hear, for people who would like to
get a feature done but can't finance the whole thing themselves.  But
look on the bright side--the base price is free, and when you give most
PostgreSQL companies money to work on something it's at least possible
to get what you want done.  You'd have to pay a whole lot more than the
$15K number you threw out there before any of the commercial database
vendors would pay any attention to your particular feature request.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us