Re: How does PG know if data is in memory? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?
Date
List pgsql-performance
<gnuoytr@rcn.com> wrote:

> -- None of that is anything for amateurs to play with.
>
> Not jam a stick in anybody's eye, but shouldn't database pros not
> be amateurs?

While many PostgreSQL installations are managed by professional
DBAs, or programmers or consultants with a deep enough grasp of the
issues to tune a knob like that appropriately, PostgreSQL is also
used in environments without such staff.  In fact, there is pressure
to make PostgreSQL easier to configure for exactly that reason.  If
we add more knobs which are this hard to tune correctly, we would
risk inundation with complaints from people to tried to use it and
made things worse.

-Kevin