Re: Timeout and Synch Rep - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Timeout and Synch Rep
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> So, if something happens to the standby, and it cannot return an ack in
>> 30 seconds, they would like it to degrade to asynch mode.  At that
>> point, they would also like to trigger a nagios alert which will wake up
>> the sysadmin with flashing red lights.
>
> How?

TBD, and before 9.1.  It's clear to *me* that we're going to need some
read-only system views around replication in order to make monitoring
work.  Also, given that we have this shiny new LISTEN/NOTIFY
implementation, it would be peachy keen to maybe make use of it to emit
an event when replication changes, no?

Otherwise, DBAs are forced to tail the logs to figure out what
replication status is.  This is NOT adequate.

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com