Re: recovery.conf location - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: recovery.conf location
Date
Re: recovery.conf location  (Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/1/10 4:05 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>  And
>> >
>> > Hmm.. instead of that text file (i.e., recovery.conf), trigger file is
>> > periodically polled by the standby server.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the point of moving all the parameters except one.

Instead of having a setting which indicates a trigger file, and also
having a recovery.conf file (which is awkward at best) we would:

recovery.conf:
server_status = standby | active

Then instead of having a trigger file, the admin could just update the
status file in recovery.conf and save it (or overwrite the file).  This
would also give admins an easy place to check what the current server
status is.

Our current arrangement of having a postgresql.conf file, a
recovery.conf file, and potentially a trigger file (during final
recovery) seems horribly hackish and impossible to manage neatly.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com