Re: Backups from the standby (Incrementally Updated Backups), open item - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

On 8/24/10 12:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Marko Tiikkaja <marko.tiikkaja@cs.helsinki.fi> writes:
>> Is this method not reliable then?  Can something go wrong even if the
>> user does exactly what the documentation says?
>
> It is not.  This whole discussion started from somebody reporting that
> it didn't work.

Again, given that this is a method which is (a) fairly minority-need,
and (b) not at all tested in the field, I do not think it belongs in the
main docs.  Let's put it on the wiki and blog about it, and AFTER we've
collected bug reports and have something relatively bulletproof for 9.1,
THEN we put it in the main docs.

We really shouldn't have anything in the main docs related to backup
which isn't 100% tested.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com