Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 28, 2008, at 18:31, Tom Lane wrote:

>> To upgrade from citext, I expect
>> that what one will have to do is to alter the column to change its
>> data type from citext to TEXT + collation.
>
> What I'm wondering is how closely that will match the semantics of the
> contrib module ...

By "semantics" do you mean behavior, in terms of how closely operator
comparisons will return the same results? I have no idea, personally,
but it's no worse then TEXT, is it? The use of TEXT and LOWER() being
what people are doing now?

Best,

David