Re: string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:04, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> If we were a bit earlier in the 9.0 cycle I would suggest that
>> this confusion is a sufficient reason to drop the one-argument
>> form of string_agg.  It's too late now though.
>
> FWIW I think we can still change it.   Isn't this type of issue
> part of what beta is for?  If we were in RC that would be a
> different story

I like to think I'm pretty serious about controlling scope creep to
prevent a release dragging out, but this one seems like beta testing
uncovered a flaw in new code for the release.  In my book, that
makes it fair game to balance the risk of breaking things by
changing it now against the problems we'll have long term if we
leave it alone.  I'm not sure if that was the basis of saying it was
too late, or some other consideration.

-Kevin