Re: pg_upgrade and reg* system oid user types - Mailing list pgsql-testers

From Glen Barber
Subject Re: pg_upgrade and reg* system oid user types
Date
List pgsql-testers
On 8/3/10 2:19 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 8/3/10 10:07 AM, Glen Barber wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think it might be worth mentioning in the release notes (unless I've
>>> missed it, of course) that, with the addition of
>>> check_for_reg_data_type_usage(), pg_upgrade will error if it finds, for
>>> example, tsearch data from pre-8.3 in user tables.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, pg_upgrade has worked wonderfully for me - thanks again for
>>> bringing it into contrib.
>>
>> Good to hear.  Problem report forwarded to Bruce.
>
> I was wondering if users were storing text search reg* data types in
> their user tables.  Is this common?  Why only pre-8.3?

The database I am using in testing 9.0 is a development database which
mimics our production environment as closely as it can.  This particular
data has been through several PostgreSQL upgrades, beginning with 7.4,
if I remember correctly.  The reg* data types in user tables is from
before tsearch functionality was added to core.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber