Re: Testing Sandforce SSD - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Yeb Havinga
Subject Re: Testing Sandforce SSD
Date
List pgsql-performance
Yeb Havinga wrote:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
>> Did it fit in shared_buffers, or system cache ?
>>
> Database was ~5GB, server has 16GB, shared buffers was set to 1920MB.
>> I first noticed this several years ago, when doing a COPY to a large
>> table with indexes took noticably longer (2-3 times longer) when the
>> indexes were in system cache than when they were in shared_buffers.
>>
> I read this as a hint: try increasing shared_buffers. I'll redo the
> pgbench run with increased shared_buffers.
Shared buffers raised from 1920MB to 3520MB:

 pgbench -v -l -c 20 -M prepared -T 1800 test
starting vacuum...end.
starting vacuum pgbench_accounts...end.
transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
scaling factor: 300
query mode: prepared
number of clients: 20
duration: 1800 s
number of transactions actually processed: 12971714

:-)