Re: pgsql-announce approvals WAS: Beta4 release announcement - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: pgsql-announce approvals WAS: Beta4 release announcement
Date
List pgsql-www
> Wasn't part of the problem that the post to -www didn't show up?
> Did anyone answer the question of why announcements are sent to the
> list before they should go out?

Oh, that was a mistake; normally they don't.  However, one of the things
we count on human list moderators for is to catch mistakes ... duplicate
postings, cross-postings, links that don't work in commercial
announcements, inappropriate content, etc.

I imagine that Greg simply assumed that if Selena was posting it, the
message must be ready to go out.  And since her message to this list
*not* to post it didn't come though ...

It's kind of like a flight check: normally we have a procedure (when/how
to post to pgsql-announce, which could use some explication on the wiki,
as this has shown) and a safety mechanism (the human moderator of the
pgsql-announce).  In this case both the procedure and the safety
mechanism failed, fortunately without horrible consequences.

So I'd like to improve both before an error does have horrible
consequences, such as a security release.  Working on the procedure now.

--                                   -- Josh Berkus                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                           http://www.pgexperts.com