Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
Date
Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
List pgsql-performance
Joshua Tolley wrote:
> Relatively minor, but it would be convenient to avoid having to query
> $external_pooler to determine the client_addr of an incoming connection.

You suggest this as a minor concern, but I consider it to be one of the
most compelling arguments in favor of in-core pooling.  A constant pain
with external poolers is the need to then combine two sources of data in
order to track connections fully, which is something that everyone runs
into eventually and finds annoying.  It's one of the few things that
doesn't go away no matter how much fiddling you do with pgBouncer, it's
always getting in the way a bit.  And it seems to seriously bother
systems administrators and developers, not just the DBAs.