Re: Need help in performance tuning. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Need help in performance tuning.
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Otherwise I'm wondering if PostgreSQL will begin really suffering in
> performance on workloads where queries are big and expensive but there
> are relatively few of them running at a time.

Oh, I should note at this point that I'm *not* whining that "someone"
should volunteer to do this, or that "the postgresql project" should
just "make it happen".

I'm fully aware that Pg is a volunteer project and that even if these
speculations were in a vaguely reasonable direction, that doesn't mean
anyone has the time/skills/knowledge/interest to undertake such major
architectural change. I certainly know I have zero right to ask/expect
anyone to - I'm very, very grateful to all those who already spend time
helping out and enhancing Pg. With particular props to Tom Lane for
patience on the -general list and heroic bug-fixing persistence.

Sorry for the rely-to-self, I just realized my post could've been taken
as a whine about Pg's architecture and some kind of demand that someone
do something about it. That couldn't be further from my intent.

--
Craig Ringer