History page - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Kevin Grittner
Subject History page
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
[starting a new thread for this digression]

Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:

> I think this quote is kind of cool:
>
>> PostgreSQL is a direct descendent of a project sponsored by the
>> Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and other
>> groups back in 1986.  These are the same people who spawned the
>> Internet!

I hadn't seen that quote, so I checked the History page:

Sure enough, not there.  But I found this:

| Version 8.0 is PostgreSQL's long awaited debut into the enterprise
| database market, bringing features such as tablespaces, Java
| stored procedures, point in time recovery, and nested transactions
| (savepoints). With it came a long awaited feature --- a native
| Windows port.

Perhaps this part should be replaced with every new release?  (I
would suggest ripping it out entirely except that it seems to me
that the history would come off as much more "dry" without something
of this sort which is current.)

In fact, given the long list of features this page gives for what
was added in the 7.0 to 7.4 time frame, perhaps that should be
folded in with the features from 8.0 to 8.4 at this point, too, and
maintained with each new release?

I started this here rather than -www because the hard part (and the
first part) is writing something good from an advocacy POV.  Perhaps
updating the History page should be part of whatever checklist
exists for releasing a new major version.

-Kevin