Re: libpython - cannot open shared object file - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Wilcox
Subject Re: libpython - cannot open shared object file
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

Can anyone help me get up and running on Ubuntu 64-bit Server (lucid) OS with PostgreSQL 64-bit and Python 2.6?

(Please note that this is all running in a VirtualBox VM however I am not convinced that is relevant here)

I have a load of functions written in plpythonu and I can't run anything until they are able to run. Please help.. I have been through set up using the Ubuntu Software Manager (postgresql, postgresql-8.4, plpython for postgresql-8.4,..), I have tried using sudo apt-get install postgresql-8.4, I have downloaded and installed using the 64-bit linux binary from postgresql.com.

In all cases, I have started the server from "su postgres" in bash.. it happily runs and pgadmin3 can connect.  I successfully create my plpythonu and pgsql functions then I attempt to use them in a simple SELECT statement (see below) and the resulting error occurs:

--------------

DROP LANGUAGE IF EXISTS plpythonu CASCADE;
CREATE LANGUAGE plpythonu;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION min_float(a float, b float) RETURNS float AS $$
return min(a,b);
$$ LANGUAGE plpythonu;

SELECT min_float(1,2);

--------------

ERROR:  could not load library "/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib/postgresql/plpython.so": libpython2.3.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

----------------

I don't know enough to know where to start with this..

I have python2.6 installed. The following find command results:

root@ubuntu64-bertha:/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib# find /* -name libpython*
find: ‘/media/windows-share/System Volume Information’: Operation not permitted
/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib/postgresql/libpython2.6.so.1
/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libpythonmethod.so
/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libpythonmethod-2.6.so
/usr/lib/python2.6/config/libpython2.6.so
/usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1
/usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
/usr/lib/gedit-2/plugin-loaders/libpythonloader.so
/usr/share/doc/libpython2.6
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libpython2.6
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpython2.6.symbols
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpython2.6.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpython2.6.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpython2.6.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpython2.6.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpython2.6.list

I tried creating a symbolic link that points to the libpython2.6 like so:

root@ubuntu64-bertha:/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib# ln -s ./postgresql/libpython2.6.so.1 libpython2.3.so.1.0

but then it gave me this error instead:

ERROR: could not load library "/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib/postgresql/plpython.so": /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib/postgresql/plpython.so: undefined symbol: Py_InitModule4
SQL state: 58P01

So I presume it was expecting a different python version..(I have now removed that symbolic link so I am back to my original error).

I am losing this battle badly and I am desperately running out of time. Please can anyone help me or suggest anything I can try to sort this out and get plpython running my functions in postgresql on this linux OS.

Please help me!

Tom