Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 6/18/10 2:15 AM, Matthew Wakeling wrote:
> I'd like to point out the costs involved in having a whole separate
> "version" of Postgres that has all this safety switched off. Package
> managers will not thank anyone for having to distribute another version
> of the system, and woe betide the user who installs the wrong version
> because "it runs faster". No, this is much better as a configurable option.

Agreed, although initial alphas of this concept are likely to in fact be
a separate source code tree.  Eventually when we have it working well it
could become an initdb-time option.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.