Re: streaming replication breaks horribly if master crashes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: streaming replication breaks horribly if master crashes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> So, obviously at this point my slave database is corrupted beyond
> repair due to nothing more than an unexpected crash on the master.
Certainly that's true for resuming replication.  From your
description it sounds as though the slave would be usable for
purposes of taking over for an unrecoverable master.  Or am I
misunderstanding?
> had no trouble getting back in sync with the master - but it would
> have done this after having replayed WAL that, from the master's
> point of view, doesn't exist.  In other words, the database on the
> slave would be silently corrupted.
>
> I don't know what to do about this, but I'm pretty sure we can't
> ship it as-is.
I'm sure we can't.
-Kevin