Re: Confirm calculus - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Confirm calculus
Date
List pgsql-performance
Juan Pablo Sandoval Rivera <juapabsan@tutopia.com> wrote:

> In relation to the process of tuning the engine PostgreSQL
> database, especially 7.3.7 version that is being used currently,

Do you really mean PostgreSQL version 7.3.7 (not 8.3.7)?  If so, you
should really consider upgrading.  Performance is going to be much
better, not to mention all the new features and bug fixes.

> it is said that the shared memory segment for the engine of the
> database on a dedicated server should be between 25% and maximum
> 33% of the RAM.

I think that started being a recommended practice with 8.1 or 8.2;
in my limited experience with older versions, it didn't pay to go
beyond somewhere in the 100MB to 200MB range.

-Kevin