Re: pg_archive_bypass - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: pg_archive_bypass
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 14/06/10 13:39, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> I tend to consider it a bug that there's no known way under windows to
> use the same trick as under Unix by using '/usr/bin/true' as your
> archive command. And this Unix trick itself does feel like a hack.
>
> Also I'd very much like to be able to recommend (even if not change the
> official defaults) to setup wal_level to archive, archive_mode=on and
> archive_command=pg_archive_bypass, so that the day you have a HA budget
> ain't the day you're going to restart the server to enable the fault
> tolerance settings…

That particular use case is better handled by making archive_mode
changeable on-the-fly. Now that we have wal_level as a separate GUC, it
shouldn't be too hard.

I like internal commands as a solution in general, but it's still in
search of a problem..