Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Hartmut Goebel
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Am 05.06.2010 22:02, schrieb Dimitri Fontaine:

>> I don't think "dumps must be human-readable" is an argument to reject
>> such a switch, as long as it's off by default.  And I haven't seen any
>> other valid argument either, so +1 from me.
>=20
> Well as Bruce said this option won't solve the OP's problem, unless the
> application he's using for managing the backups do use the option.

As I already wrote, this would solve my problem. The application uses a
generic framework which quotes all column names (and such) automatically.

Esp. this would solve the problem for *all other users* of this
application, too. And as I already wrote, too, most of these
users/administrators are not database gurus. They need as much support
as possible to make their live easier.

--=20
Sch=C3=B6nen Gru=C3=9F - Regards
Hartmut Goebel
Dipl.-Informatiker (univ.), CISSP, CSSLP

Goebel Consult
Spezialist f=C3=BCr IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult mit Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de