Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> If we were actually going in this direction we'd want to write a
> much better WAL-text-dump tool than we have, and then in principle
> somebody could sanitize the text output before shipping it off.
I wouldn't think this would be practical unless there was a way to
scan the WAL files and dump only the bits related to the affected
pages, and probably with at least an option (possibly default) to
just mention the data type and length, rather than showing the
actual values -- how often are the values relevant, anyway?  (Not
rhetorical; I really don't know.)
-Kevin