Re: What Linux edition we should chose? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: What Linux edition we should chose?
Date
List pgsql-general
Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> I run my site (see my signature) on a self managed VPS. I was using
> the default PGSQL RPM from the fedora repository, the site was getting
> way slow. So I compiled all the stuff apache, php and postgresql with
> custom gcc flags, which improved performance like hell

Without breaking down how much of that speed increase was from Apache,
PHP, and PostgreSQL respectively, I'm not sure what the people who
package PostgreSQL can really learn from your data here.  Reports on
improving PostgreSQL performance by tweaking optimizer flags haven't
been very repeatable for others when they've popped up in the past, so
for all we know the bulk of your gain came from Apache and PHP
optimizations.